Thursday, June 21, 2007

Hocus Pocus

Strange thing (well not so strange), happened today in one of my classes. A proof of what Shaykh Yasir Qadhi mentioned in the Lord of the Worlds, Al Kauthar course (for thsoe who didnt go, sorry we'll probably go on about it for a while). Basically after my class, one of the kids, was leaning on their floor brush. I didn't really take notice. Then she says ' wish i can have more potions, ive already got some but i need more so i can make harder spells. Ive got a broom which i can fly away with. If i get more potions i can do more things.My dad said i can have some sticks from outside.....'
Well you can imagine i was gobsmacked! The shaykh had spoken about an incident he had experienced with some young girl, who had downloaded spells and was perfoming acts of 'magic' without realising the severity or consequences! SubhanAllah. It just reminded me of this story and kinda freaked me out. I said to her its not good to make potions, you dont need it you can play with other things. I honestly did not know what to say. I just had an image of her with balls of light flying around her and a pointed hat. Astaghfirullah. I hate Harry Potter even more now! I never could stand it, only because everyone else loves it and i could never see the attraction in it. I dont like fantasy stuff anyway. But the effects its having on our kids is detrimental. They actually believe he possess power. Hmm must do another lesson on Tawheed with them............

1 comment:

hema said...

oh gosh, this made me think. i taught harry potter voluntarily to year sevens once, because they were so engrossed in it.
i guess i alays assumed people can seperate fact from fiction.
one of the students actually associated the what-are-they called- faceless hooded beings with the niqaab and said that's why he's scared when he sees "one of them" walking down the street.
scary