Friday, June 29, 2007

The Burning Flame

I am a flame like no other flame.
I am the first to be lit and the last to die out. I rise above them all, red and hot. You can see the tips of me in the darkness of the night. My igniter is in awe of me. My opponents fear me. They all are. Even my fellow flames cower in my presence. Their heat is cool in comparison to my ravaging burn. I leave scars on whoever touches me. My curves and waves mesmerises all that lay their eyes on me. I disappear when i want. When there is no longer anyone around to admire me. Enchanting and charming, thats me. Rather that was me.....

Until that fatal day. I didn't even see it coming. Who would dare to burn me out in the prime of my time. But indeed somebody did dare. All i saw was a black mass above me. Despite the slight uncomfortable feeling, i did not feel threatened. So what i've burned through the night, so what if it became dark earlier than usual...
But it was now looming. My fellow admirers seemed to be welcoming this unexpected visitor. They jumped around me, almost mocking me. I soared higher just to assert my authority, but it did not have its usual effect. Instead they changed their colour and intensified their heat. Now this angered me. I was so overcome with wrath that i didn't notice the first fat wet drop. Even the second. But i was forced to feel the third. It hissed at me. It teased me above my head. It then dropped on me like a ton of bricks. And it kept on coming for me. Drops upon drops. Torrents and torrents. I heard cries, i dont know if they were mine, but they were too gleeful to be my own roar. I saw them before i burned my last. I saw the thunder before all lights went out. In that last moment i wished i wasn't the fastest, hottest and highest burning flame, for then my fate may have been different.......

My legend burned out long before the candle ever did.

6 comments:

Saabirah said...

Wow, I'm speechless...

hema said...

may the light of Islam enlighten your heart always xx

Caged Bird said...

Umm M!! i cannot believe you thought i was using the flame to symbolise me, reading it again, the flame defo sounds over confident. I would never be able to describe myeslf like that, as the description simply wouldn't fit me. i mean 'assert my authority....enchanting and charming....' Id ive certainly never known you guys to cower in my presence!!. lol....
hmm and next time i will try to make the arrogance more apparent, maybe.

Umm Maymoonah said...

I'm not the only one who misunderstood it! Hema - what do you think the 'flame' is?

and anyone else....

Saabirah said...

I thought you were talking about yourself but I didn't think the flame was arrogant, just confident. And I thought it was necessary to border on arrogance just to highlight how confident the flame was before it got extinguished... You know what I mean?

hema said...

hhm i was wondering whether it was you but didn't want to pry. but i was also thinking it was symbolic of anyone who had ever suffered at the hands of injustice, and like saabirah i didn't think it sounded arrogance, and felt the exaggeration was needed for emphasis.