Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Gifts and memories........

Alhamdulillah, yesterday me and a friend went on an Al Kauthar promo. Alhamdulillah i felt it was a productive day. Month of Mercy is approaching us and we really hope we can get at least 200 people. Although i think, being realistic, the numbers are good so far, considering it is the North and that even free events don't often pull people in by the hundreds.

Anyway, so we went to the new Islamic shop in Oldham (Kings Street, Near Oldham Town Centre). Now i have to say i was feeling apprehensive about going there, because the bros who have set it up were people i went to school with. Masha'Allah im so happy for them that they had set this up and that they were positively contributing to the field of Dawah and catering for the needs of the muslims in Oldham. Alhamdulillah. Really you must check it out, it is a nice little shop, with tasteful jilbabs and jubbas. A range of books and hey they definitely in my good books because they have lectures by Shaykh Tawfique Chowdhury there and my other source of knowledge - Imam Anwar al awlaki, masha'Allah.

Well as i predicted, one of the bros recognised me, despite not being able to see me. Alhamdulillah this bro is happily married. He had a really confused look as he asked 'is it Roshanara?' i answered in the affirmative and he started grinning! He was like 'raass it's been ages what you up to.' I returned the politeness and asked about his wife. And then he was like 'yeh we were just talking about you the other day!!' As you can imagine my jaw dropped, obviously he didn't see it!! I asked what do you mean, why? But it was all innocent unmysterious talk. Alhamdulillah. Anyway, i congratulated him for the shop and went browsing. I saw a bag I liked, but did not need. Naturally i voiced my admiration. This sweet brother said 'take it, have it, gift from me.' I was 'no, no its ok, i dont want it.' he insisted, i insisted no, until my friend said you're not supposed to refuse gifts. I felt so touched.

All of this was in complete innocence,there is no hidden agenda. He is married and we never had any inclination towards one another at any point in our life. But it did remind me that masha'Allah he was always a decent sweet brother and he was still that same person which was nice to know. Alhamdulillah, although it was difficult i still did manage to keep my barrier and told him so, reiterating that we're not the same as we were before hanging out. But he just saw it as i did - a brother and sister sharing a memory of who they were in the past and seeing what they have become now.
It was a pleasant day and hey i wasn't going to complain im the owner of a very chic black sequenced bag!!

Visit Al Aqsa! http://www.alaqsadirect.com/

6 comments:

Saabirah said...

There goes your anonymity... :-)

hema said...

if i say i'm your friend, do you think i will get a free bag too?
i'll be sure to check it out. inshAllah it will have the same success as RDC.

it's a curious thing about anonyminity. some people don't seem too bothered about it. while i'm ok with "talking" with strangers on the internet, i wouldn't want them to know my name or where i lived just in case??

Umm Zaidah Nusaybah said...

Assalamu alaikum

hey i'm back from umrah alhamdulillah. it was amazing masha'Allah...you've got a bag hmmm maybe you'll have a nicer one very soon!!

Umm Maymoonah said...

umm ZN - Your funny mashaAllah. Can't wait to catch up!

Caged Bird said...

Walaikum salaam
Hey Umm ZN Alhamdulillah you're back!! How are you? hope Zaidah and all was well?
Well i'll try not get my hopes up too much and anticipate your visit here, i mean it's not like you would have bought me a bag as present right....nah but would love to see you and hear your experience, masha'Allah.

As for for anonymity, come one you guys knows its me and i've not put my address down, although i have stated i live in Oldham. Oh no stalker alarms are going off in my head...........

Umm Zaidah Nusaybah said...

Insha Allah I should be coming to oldham very soon, can't wait to see you guys and relate my experience of umrah and catch up!

we should meet up at umm maymoona's and maybe eat camel meat...I'm guessing you haven't cooked it yet,right?